It never ceases to amaze me how many uses I find for this versatile and beautifully aromatic oil!
My mum introduced me to lavender. She used to buy these “synthetic” linen sprays for our pillows as kids to help us sleep. I liked the aroma, but knowing what I do about what is in many essential oil products nowadays, I dread to think what I was breathing in!
I continued to use lavender though. I began to buy straight lavender essential oil, although I never used to pay much attention to the brand I bought or its purity. To be honest budget was a bigger concern! I have learnt a lot since then.
I have also continued to discover uses for lavender oil and it is undoubtedly the oil I reach for most. My favourite relief from this oil is when a headache hits and I can take one drop of this oil, rub it into my temples and almost instantly feel the headache reduce. This is what converted me to dõTERRA. I had never experienced such a quick relief with such a small am out if oil. I was curious to discover other ways this oil could support me.
So, here are 10 ways we use lavender oil as a family. I hope you enjoy experimenting yourself! And feel free to share your tips in the comments below this post….
- Following in the footsteps of my mum – on linen. Or anywhere there is a not so fresh smell…
- To deter creepies and crawlers! They are not a fan of lavender. And if you do get a bite, lavender is extremely soothing for bites and relieves itching and inflammation
- On the subject of inflammation, lavender has been found to support relief of asthma, thanks to its anti – inflammatory effects
- To aid sleep. I have lost count of the nights I have diffused lavender oil to help lull myself or my daughter off to sleep. Since falling pregnant I have also noticed that it reduces my nausea…
- To create! Soaps, candles, air fresheners, pot pourri…
- To polish wood floors. I add lavender oil to my steam cleaner and it gives the floor a sheen that would give your chemical polish a run for its money!
- To bake with. DõTERRA’s CPTG oils are so pure that you can injest them and lavender is great to soften citrus flavours in cooking, for sauces, to bake with and for mixing with anything sweet like an icing or maple syrup!
- Lavender is also great for your first aid kit. As a burn cream, for splinters and cuts and scrapes! I am aware of many oils recommended for painful ear aches (including basil and eucalyptus), but lavender can also help. Mix with olive oil and gently massage around the ears (not inside) and apply around the glands in the throat
- To beautify! Face scrubs, cracked heel balm and itchy skin and to relieve acne. Lavender helps balance sebum and control break outs.
Understand why I love this versatile oil now? I could share more ways with you to use this oil – to disinfect, clear the respiratory system, boost the immune system, support digestion and circulation and calm, but I will let you enjoy discovering for yourself.
If you haven’t begun your essential oil journey yet lavender is a great place to start. If you have, share your love of lavender and tips for use below this blog post.
For more inspiration check out my pinterest boards! (Clare “Essential Mum” Williamson)
Much love x