Sometimes you can miss someone so much that you don’t know how you’ll get through the pain that grief brings in all its different forms – the loss of a job, a person, a friendship, a relationship. Grief isn’t a short-term thing – it is a long-standing, relentless pain and longing for the thing that is not in your life anymore. It’s all the things that came with that thing – the comforting and grounding touch of a hand, security, routine, a sense of identity. Grief is complex, but what is common is that grieving is a process. Shock, denial, anger, sadness and then finally (and after much time), acceptance and moving forward. At the point of loss though, these final steps seem inconceivable, impossible, and in between all these standard emotions and through them are turbulent, changing emotions like despair, helplessness, frustration, regret, guilt, fear, insecurity, isolation, abandonment, and hopelessness. Essential oils can be extremely comforting when used aromatically or topically to help balance the emotions that accompany the grieving process and they can uplift in dark times and support the transition of grief and emotional healing.
My nan passed away almost seven years ago now. She was my rock. The one I turned to for advice and support. She lived with us so long that everything about her was familiar and comforting, even her tellings off because it was representation of how much she cared! I knew she was hearing my silent cries for help. My early teens were a tough and very challenging time for me and I became very lost. My nan was always a stable place to come back to, which grounded me and refocused me in the hard times. I suffered terribly when she passed away. I fell apart, in truth.
In the present day my grief has mostly passed, but there is not a day that goes by that I do not miss her or think of her, and even as an adult and especially as a mum I have moments where I feel like that lost little girl and I look for her. Sometimes I feel her presence so strongly that I almost feel like I can reach out and touch her. Other days she feels so far away that I panic because I cannot find her. Then there are other times I am sure she is reaching back to me through others and things that happen in my day – when a stranger offers an embrace or a rainbow appears when my heart is hurting or I hear her song on the radio.
Many times I have used my essential oils to help me with feelings of loss. There are many oils you can turn to in order to counteract negative emotions and increase positive mood, and therefore improve overall emotional health – Bergamot, Citrus Oils, Roman Chamomile, Jasmine, Sweet Marjoram, Neroli, Rose, Frankincense, Melissa, Ylang Ylang and Vetiver are just a few – but unless you know what oils can help in which way, using them can seem daunting!
This is why when doTERRA launched a line of essential oil blends to aid in emotional health in 2015 I literally jumped for joy!
Their system, called Emotional Aromatherapy, includes six 5 mL essential oil blends of CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils.
Each bottle blends the oils that elicit specific emotional responses in the precise ratios that will have an entirely new spectrum of benefits compared to using each oil in isolation:
- The Cheer Uplifting Blend of citrus and spice essential oils promotes feelings of optimism, cheerfulness, and happiness, and counteracts negative emotions of feeling down, blue, or low
- The Console Comforting Blend of floral and tree essential oils promotes feelings of comfort and hope and counteracts negative emotions of grief, sadness, and hopelessness
- The Forgive Renewing Blend of tree and herb essential oils promotes feelings of contentment, relief, and patience, and counteracts negative emotions of anger and guilt
- The Motivate Encouraging Blend of mint and citrus promotes feelings of confidence, courage, and belief, and counteracts negative emotions of doubt, pessimism, and cynicism
- The Passion Inspiring Blend ignites feelings of excitement, passion, and joy and counteracts negative feelings of boredom and disinterest
- The doTERRA Peace Reassuring Blend of floral and mint essential oils promotes feelings of peace, reassurance, and contentment and counteracts anxious and fearful emotions.
The Emotional Aromatherapy System is a very powerful tool for grief, but only by trying the blends will you discover their true value to you. If you would like to try the Emotional Aromatherapy System it is available from my online shop, along with the essential oils individually. To fully understand the potential of using essential oils for your emotional balance, and to get started <>
Either way, if you are in the clutches of grief right now I offer you my love and strength in this difficult time of healing and renewal.
Much love x x